Beautiful REST+JSON APIs with Ion
Creating a really clean and intuitive REST + JSON API is no easy task. You have to worry
about resources, collections of resources, pagination, query parameters, links to other
resources, search, which HTTP Methods to use, HTTP Caching, security, and more! And you
have to make sure it lasts and doesn't break clients as you add features over time.
To make matters worse, everyone does REST differently! There has never been a formal
media type or REST ‘standard’ that addresses these concerns in a single clean and intuitive
specification…. Until now.
In this presentation, Les Hazlewood - Stormpath CTO and renowned REST API speaker with
over a million REST API presentation views on YouTube - will show how the new Ion REST API
media type specification cleanly solves these problems. Ion was designed by a team of experts
from different organizations, and it reflects best practices learned while designing, implementing
and supporting JSON-based REST APIs for years.
In this presentation, Les will cover:
• Why Ion was created and why it gives you the best chance of success
• JSON data formats in a RESTful API
• How to map (and not map) HTTP methods to Resource CRUD
• References to other JSON-based resources (aka 'linking')
• Resource collections and pagination
• Automatic data input discovery via Forms
• Resource partial updates
• Many-to-Many resource relationships
• Asynchronous and long-lived API interactions
• API versioning strategies
• Meaningful error responses
• How Ion facilitates fully automated integration testing
• 100% HATEOAS compatibility
• and more!
- Not Interested